United Nations (UN) Strikes Food Deal With North Korea

Go down

United Nations (UN) Strikes Food Deal With North Korea

Post  ~*~ Amirah ~*~ on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:25 pm

UN strikes food deal with N Korea

Severe flooding last year has raised fears of famine in North Korea
The UN World Food Programme says it has reached an agreement to greatly expand its work in North Korea, as a shipment of US food aid arrived in the country.

The deal means that the agency will be able to feed five million people in the hunger-hit state, WFP said.

Fifty more international monitors will oversee aid distribution and they will be given unprecedented access to rural areas, it said.

The deal comes amid warnings North Korea could be facing famine.

It has been reliant on international food aid for years and problems were compounded when serious floods last year devastated swathes of cropland.

An estimated one million people starved to death in North Korea in the late 1990s.

'Dramatically expand'

The US announced in May that it would send half a million tonnes of aid to North Korea to be distributed by WFP.

But, says the BBC's John Sudworth in the South Korean capital, Seoul, that was the easy bit.

Is N Korea facing famine?

For the past few weeks, the UN has been in tough negotiations with the North Korean government, trying to secure full access for its staff to ensure that the food aid goes to those who need it most.

The deal, signed on Friday, will allow the largest WFP presence ever inside North Korea, which places severe restrictions on access to foreigners, our correspondent adds.

Food distribution will be expanded from the current 50 counties to 128 counties - including parts of the country to which aid agencies have not had access in the past.

Aid will now reach five million people, instead of the current 1.2 million.

Tony Banbury, WFP's Asia regional director, said that the agency would be able to "dramatically expand" its aid operation.

"With this agreement, WFP will be in a position to reach more hungry people and put an expanded and more comprehensive monitoring system in place," he said.

After the deal was agreed, a US ship carrying aid arrived in the port of Nampo on Sunday.

Half of its cargo of wheat will be unloaded there and the rest split between two other eastern ports, WFP said.

The US food aid is not directly linked to an international deal aimed at ending North Korea's nuclear programme.

But the delivery comes amid movement in the long-stalled negotiations.

Last week, Pyongyang produced an overdue statement of its nuclear activities. In response, the US initiated steps to remove North Korea from the list of state sponsors of terrorism.

Reports from the region suggest that six-nation talks aimed at moving the deal forward could now resume next month.

The Source

The Review
In my perspective, the signing of the deal to expand the distribution of food aid to larger populations is a necessary and smart move to ensure that more people receive food aid in the country (North Korea). This is expecially to those who have been severely affected by the floods. However, I feel that the deal could have been made earlier in the years as this might have pervented thousands or even millions of people from dying of hunger. On another note, the signing of this deal will mean that the food aid will finally go to those people who are desperately in need of it. In addition, the expansion of the food aid 'grounds' will mean that more people will be spared from dying a 'hungry' death.

Amirah

Last edited by ~*~ Amirah ~*~ on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
~*~ Amirah ~*~

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Nations (UN) Strikes Food Deal With North Korea

Post  ~*~ Amirah ~*~ on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:25 pm

Hahaaaaa...Comment, comment!!! Laughing
~*~ Amirah ~*~

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Weiliang on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:40 pm

Eh i thought we must do a review then others comment on the review? I am confused now. bounce
Weiliang

View user profile http://07s24.forummotions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ~*~ Amirah ~*~ on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:21 pm

Huh? No laaaa....the person suppose to post just post. The others comment...hah. Razz
~*~ Amirah ~*~

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ~*~ Amirah ~*~ on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:06 pm

~*~ Amirah ~*~ wrote:Huh? No laaaa....the person suppose to post just post. The others comment...hah. Razz

Shit. My mistake. Must do review! sheessshhh!!!! *bangs head on table* Mad Mad Mad
~*~ Amirah ~*~

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Comment on N. Korea's hunger desperation

Post  Rain on Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:28 pm

The situation faced currently by North Korea is a good example of how natural catastrophes can cause such a great impact on a country's development. The floods destroyed the croplands and therefore destroying a source of economic development in North Korea. It can be seen that North Korea is heavily dependent on foreign aid to feed its people. Although international aid is given, but it is not a long-term solution. They should devise out plans and strategies to mitigate and prevent such natural disasters in the future to sustain economic growth in the country.

Rain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xavier on Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:47 pm

At a time where the political situation has more or less cooled down in North Korea, with the New York Philharmonic staging its first performance in North Korea and the possible shutdown of her nuclear facility, North Korea has essentially gone back to address the issue hindering progress ion a global scale. In a similar situation as Myanmar, North Korea has relaxed her hold on an "capitalist" ideology of the West to provide aid for her countrymen. A great step forward for North Korea but not the final step to take when dealing with the problems facing the country. Long periods of neglecting the welfare of the people for military superiority has worsen the domestic issues she faces. Thus,aid is obviously not a long term solution,as the foreign powers have to carefully manage their available resources to ensure stable economic,political and social standing. In this case, North Koreans have a part to play by learning from the foreign powers,so as to be self-sufficient. This is to ensure North Korea moves towards progress,in economic progress,social and political standing. Being self-sufficient will enable North Koreans to better handle the magnitude of destruction caused by the inevitable and unpredictable occasions of natural disasters through development of new technologies and possible protection and preventive measures.
Xavier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  izzy on Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:28 pm

North Korea should not be too reliant on foreign aids. Firstly, there are other countries out there, such as many parts of Africa and the Middle East, that people are not suffering only from hunger but also from poverty.North Korea will have a sound economy if the government had not focused on heavy military industry prior to Kim Jong-il's adoption of the Songun "Military-First" policy.That is why the government in North Korea is unable to support the citizens with the basic needs such as food. The food crisis/famine would not be a problem if the government takes a very good care of the welfare of the citizens. Furthermore, relying on foreign aid suach as the UN World Food Programme is just showing that the government is ignorant towards the citizens. I believe that foreign aid is a necessary or emergent measure that comes with desperate needs. Nevertheless, the foreign aid by UN is still helpful in North Korea as many lives were saved.I'm happy that they are alive.

Peace out
cat
izzy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan on Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:20 pm

Xavier wrote:North Koreans have a part to play by learning from the foreign powers,so as to be self-sufficient. This is to ensure North Korea moves towards progress,in economic progress,social and political standing. Being self-sufficient will enable North Koreans to better handle the magnitude of destruction caused by the inevitable and unpredictable occasions of natural disasters through development of new technologies and possible protection and preventive measures.

I share the same sentiments to wards north Korea as what Xaviour mentions. This flooding has clearly shown how self sufficient North Korea really is. I guess this is due to their over spending on nuclear arms and military. Clearly the mistake of Kim Ill song!

O yea btw, I went to do a lil more research on the situtuation and i found out that.. the food supplies to N.Korea are slowly running out. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3471385.stm

"...crisis had come at the "wrong time", when harvest stocks were already depleted and recent economic reforms had forced up prices on farmers' markets."

Interesting Diagram

N. Korea is clearly in deep ****. Also, adding to Xaviour's comment on the failure in Myanmar, in sharp contrast to both Myanmar and N. Korea is China's recovery after facing its devastign earthquake. "I can see that the Chinese government and officials have been attentive," Rice told reporters after the tour.
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/29/asia/china.php
"I can see how much effort has gone into the recovery. But with a disaster of this magnitude, no one can do it alone.""We are very glad that the Chinese people have reached out for help," she added.

I guess the situation in N. Korea won't see much improvement if the governemnt continues at the pace it is going.
Jonathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tzuhui on Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:08 pm

North Korea's main problem seems to be with it's government. If it has money to invest in nuclear development, why does it have so many starving people? Aid is definitely not a long term solution for any country that faces poverty and hunger. In addition, with U.S.'s impending economic crisis, i highly doubt it would be able to support these countries for much longer. North Korea is definitely in trouble, despite its backers like China and Japan. Its government needs to get its priorities straight, should it continue with its costly defenses against the probability of an external attack or focus its funds on helping its starving people? I think the answer should be clear.
Sadly, North Korea's leaders seem to be extremely short-sighted and narrow-minded, consumed in the fight to protect itself from "attackers". They have no signs of any emergency plans or funds or any apparent policies to tide over this crisis and bring up its economic standings. It seems the people are equally shallow in thoughts as their leaders, for choosing these people as their leaders. North Korea appears to only have two chances at survival, pray for a change in political strategies from their government, or, fight for survival by replacing their leaders. In the end, it all boils down to the basic human instinct; to fight, or to flight.
tzuhui

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down